Pages

Monday 31 August 2009

The Crafty Mother

Pin It

Sometime around mid-pregnancy my crafts-and-arts genes (which had been laying dormant for oh sooo long) suddenly flared up. Big time!! I remember a childhood filled with enthusiastically-started-somtimes-finished-always-thouroughly-enjoyed arts and crafts projects. I owned several old sewing machines inherited from my step-grandma, for a while I would create and sew small jackets made from scrap fabric for all my friends, I also had a line of rather creative-looking skirts, and I loved and used all my home-made trousers in various fabrics (one of my favourites were a pair made in a shiny curtain material – those were worn to an inch of their shiny lives). One christmas everyone in my family got home-made beanies which were recieved with various levels of enthusiasm. I could populate a small country with all the figurines I made from salt dough, lovingly created and tenderly painted. I filled boxes of boxes with drawings and paintings, both acrylic, oil, and aquarelle. I made bracelets from pearls and crocheted small hearts to hang on the christmas tree, I did paper cut-outs and origami, and made miles of friendship bracelets. I loved to make things!!! But then I grew up, and other activities became more interesting. Although I sporadically dawdled in crafty things, I didn’t really spend much time nor energy on it. Until now…

It all started quite innocently with a baby blanket. A knitted baby blanket. And then I had to make a wool jacket for Wanderbaby, and then a wool hat for Wanderbaby, and then Hubby wanted a wool beanie… and then I was hooked.

I have memberships at various craft forums, I have a folder in Favourites just for knitting, crocheting, and scrapping. I have recently bought loads of yarn on an internet auction, and then sitting on pins and needles for a week before the pack arrived and I could happily announce that I had not been scammed. If we need to give a present to someone, I instantly think of what I can make. Mum will babysit, hmm.. maybe I will make her a No-Knead Bread and Bolero as thanks. Someone is getting a new baby, hmm... some cute baby socks or a bonnet would be nice to give. A kid from Wanderbaby’s kindy has her first birthday, hmm… let’s crochet her a hat…

And it doesn’t stop there. I have now been known to churn my own butter (yes I know) and make my own cheese. The cheese was fun to make but will probably not be made again, but the butter was lovely. And so i do. I make my own bread, nice chewy No-Knead Bread for me and hubby and a bit not-so-chewy bread for Wanderbaby.

I am teased by friends and family. Recently, at a house-warming party thrown by one of my friends, I was duly introduced as The Wandering Lady, she churns her own butter! Among the mums at Wanderbaby’s kindy I am now known as That Mum, that kind of mum who will wake up early in the morning to cook lovely foodstuff for Wanderbaby to take as lunch, the mum who does not let Wanderbaby have chocolate or other sweet stuff, but instead load his snack box with dried apricots, raisins, and rice cakes… Suddenly, without noticing I turned into an alternative woman. Nothing wrong with that, but just so alien to the me I once thought I was. Next thing I know, I will have to get my own chickens and maybe a cow…

Come to think about it, i do have a cow or two lying around here somewhere…

No comments:

Post a Comment